Wednesday 12 January 2011

Lesson with Ernestine Stoop in December

Hi again,

I've not been blogging due to my poor old PC giving up on me. Its computer brain was overheating to about 150 degrees...having now started learning and practising the repertoire for the Gaudeamus Interpreters Competition (I'm happy to say I have been accepted to compete)....I know how my computer must have been feeling!

However, thanks to a greatly inspiring lesson in Amsterdam with Ernestine Stoop, shortly before Christmas, I have got the confidence and enthusiasm to move forward with this challenging programme.

Ernestine helped me with Tratti by Ig Henneman, completely bringing the rhythm and the style of the music to life as well as sharing many practical solutions with me for the technical challenges. We also looked at Mirror by Edward Mebius, which does indeed sound a little bit Shostakovich-esque in places, only endearing it more to me! I'd recommend this piece to any harpist looking for a short, emotional and sincere piece that is brand new but fondly remembers the 20th century!

The way the composer makes the harp sound remind the listener of an actual mirror, is striking - little shards of light, sparking off here and there. Unusually for the harp, many repeated notes used deliberately by Mebius create a drier, clearer sound, more like the piano in places. The structure of the piece makes the music reflect back on itself, and the nature of the music is as introspective as Tratti is exuberant and outgoing.

I look forward to having another lesson with Ernestine: She's a truly warm person, a great harpist and teacher, and her incredible passion and fearless approach to new music really sets me alight! Inspiring stuff...oh, and grrrrrrrreat coffee too!


Thanks for reading!


Eleanor

No comments:

Post a Comment